The NANO3 International Summer School is a 3-week intensive course in nanophotonics, nanoelectronics and nano-magnetism, an outstanding field of research developed at Paris-Saclay University
Please find here the web site of NANO3
Arrival in Paris on Monday, 1st July 2019.
Courses starting on Tuesday, 2nd July 2019.
The NANO3 International Summer School is a 3-week intensive course in nanophotonics, nanoelectronics and nano-magnetism, an outstanding field of research developed at Paris-Saclay University, the biggest university cluster in France. The students will experience outstanding laboratory training and projects together with exciting cultural activities in and around Paris. The training will be delivered by senior scientists of the Center for Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies (C2N).
In order to offer International students precise information on the French research system, the methodology used is diverse: theoretical courses, lab trainings, industrial seminars, research projects, networking events with researchers and PhD students, and visits of laboratories. The school also includes elements of French culture with French as a Foreign Language courses and visits in the Paris region.
1 - FACILITIES
ARRIVAL IN FRANCE
Participants will be welcomed at Charles-de-Gaulle airport in Paris on Monday 1st July 2019 by members of the International Relations Office Summer School team.
All participants will be transferred from the airport to the University residence by private bus or taxi (depending on different times of arrival).
Staff from the International Relations Office Summer School team will be at the residence to welcome the students and guide them to their rooms.
All the main locations will be shown to the students during the first week (accommodation, lectures building, restaurants, shopping facilities, bus stops etc.)
Courses will start on Tuesday 2nd July 2019.
The school will provide accommodation for all the participants in a new residence offering single studios with private bathroom and kitchen. The residence is located 15 minutes away from the C2N new building by bus.
All meals are included in the programme (breakfast, lunches and dinners).
For breakfast: participants will buy their own breakfast to take in their rooms in the morning. These costs will be covered by the school.
Lunch & dinner: offered in the university restaurants (next to the C2N at lunch time and next to the residence at dinner time).
Buffets will also be organized for special events (networking sessions etc.) and picnic baskets or restaurants will be offered during cultural activities.
Participants will be provided with the Paris monthly public travel passes “Navigo” on their arrival. This pass gives access to unlimited travel in the Paris region.
Transport during cultural activities will also be organized.
RETURN TO CHINA
End of the school on Friday 19th July 2019.
Return to China on Saturday 20th July 2019 (transfer to the airport by bus).
2 - SCIENTIFIC SYLLABUS
Please find here the timetable of NANO3
Courses will be spread over 3 weeks and will consist of 17h of theoretical courses and 5h of practical experiments.
Courses will be organized as following:
- Photonics and optoelectronics: 4h of theoretical courses, 3h of practical experiments. Teachers: Eric Cassan (PR UPSud)
- Plasmonics and Metamaterials: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Béatrice Dagens (DR CNRS).
- Nonlinear photonics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Ariel Levenson (DR CNRS)
- THz photonics and optoelectronics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Adel Bousseksou (MCF UPSud), Pr. Frédéric Aniel (PR UPSud)
- Introduction to Nanoelectronics: 3h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Philippe Dollfus (DR CNRS) Damien Querlioz (CR-HDR CNRS), Arianna Filoramo (Ing. docteur CEA HDR)
- Magnetic thin films and spintronics: 2h of theoretical courses, 2h of practical experiments. Teachers: Nicolas Vernier (MCF-HDR UPSud), André Thiaville (DR CNRS)
- Mesoscopic physics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Dominique Mailly (DR CNRS)
All courses will take place at the C2N premises.
The School is open to International students from Masters and Bachelors with a high scientific level matching with the topics of the school.
OTHER SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES
Besides theoretical courses, the scientific training consists of:
- an introductory session of the French research system,
- practical trainings in research laboratories;
- visits of 3 major laboratories of the physics department, including a visit of C2N, LPS (Laboratory of Solid Physics) and ISMO (Institute of Molecular Sciences of Orsay);
- industrial presentations and seminars;
- research projects and immersion in laboratories
- a mini-conference ("workshop") at the end of the school to assess the results of the research projects, with poster presentations;
Finally, NANO3 will include a training specially dedicated to the preparation of PhD applications in France, in particular through the China Scholarship Council or other international programmes and the French Doctoral Schools.
3- CULTURAL SYLLABUS
Participants will get a basic introduction to French language (16h) in order to promote cultural exchanges. Students will face professional language course professors and will practice through real-life situation in the local town during one session.
Participants will be divided into different groups, according to their level in French and for better learning.
We wish to provide our students with a unique experience in the Paris region. NANO3 will offer a wide range of social activities including:
- Visits of Paris (Treasure Hunt in Paris, shopping, restaurants)
- Day trip in Normandy or visit of Châteaux de la Loire
- Day at Disneyland Paris or visit of Château de Versailles and 14th July festivities (fireworks)
International Summer School in NANOphotonics, NANOelectronics, and NANOmagnetism "NANO3"
Welcome day: Monday, 1st July 2019
From 1st July to 20th July 2019 in Université Paris-Sud.
The total number of places is limited to 35.
The price does not include the round trip between your home country and Paris
Accommodation, meals and local transportation are all included.
The summer school will not deliver ECTS, but a Certificate of Completion mentioning the amount of hours attended for theoretical courses, French courses and practical experiments.
The summer school is open to Bachelor, Master students, and students enrolled in Master-PhD programs.
Watch last year’s edition video: https://vimeo.com/288908293/9d7f50fa5d
NANO3 web site: http://www.nano3.u-psud.fr/
To apply, please follow the application procedure described on the main page