The France Excellence Summer School TRANSPORT 2019 is a strong 120-hour training programme focusing on the fundamental aspects of environment-friendly transport systems
Monday July 1st 2019.
BEGINNING OF THE PROGRAMME
Tuesday July 2nd 2019.
TRANSPORT 2019: THE SMART MOVE!
Co-organised by the Hauts-de-France Polytechnic University (UPHF, Valenciennes) and the Lille Northern France Higher Education & Research Institutions Association (ComUE LNF), the France Excellence Summer School TRANSPORT 2019 is a strong 120-hour training programme focusing on the fundamental aspects of environment-friendly transport systems, in line with top-tier research centres and leading sustainable and intermodal transport industry clusters (1st European area for railway, 2nd French area for car industry, 3rd French area for transport logistics).
Midway between Paris, London and Brussels, at the heart of a high-performance academic and economic hub that makes innovation a priority, TRANSPORT 2019 will provide, on forward-looking and lively campuses, high-standard English-taught classes, scientific and industrial immersion in the field, as well as an introduction to research through a supervised project.
Broadening your international experience under enjoyable and comfortable conditions with fellow students from pre-PhD France Excellence summer schools, TRANSPORT 2019 will offer lively social and festive events, full welcome services (incl. accommodation and catering), consistent French language and culture classes, as well as visits of remarkable historical and natural sites in Northern France and Belgium, opening access to a European region always on the move.
More information and detailed programme here
Together with the COPAIN association, the UPHF Department of International Relations (in Valenciennes) and the International Academy, summer university of the ComUE LNF (in Lille) will provide full welcome services, high standard facilities and a vibrant hall life.
COPAIN’s purpose is to offer practical support to Northern France international students; the International Academy is devoted to offering services to international students, filling the requirements of the France Excellence programme.
ARRIVAL IN FRANCE
The COPAIN association will welcome you at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) on Monday July 1st 2019 at 12 pm (noon), and then drive you directly by bus to your residence in Valenciennes.
BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL
From March 2019 on, the COPAIN association and local international students will run a group via a free instant messaging service (WeChat & WhatsApp) to the benefit of our 2019 France Excellence Summer Schools participants.
ACCOMMODATION IN VALENCIENNES
- July 1st to 11th
You will be staying at a brand new university residence situated on the Mont Houy campus. This residence is located 15 min away from the city centre by tram. The furnished individual rooms will be 18.5 m², equipped with a private bathroom and a private kitchenette, as well as a wifi connexion.
TRANSFER FROM VALENCIENNES TO LILLE
- July 11th
You will be driven by bus from Valenciennes to your residence in Lille metropolis.
ACCOMMODATION IN LILLE
- July 11th to 26th
You will be staying on the scientific campus of the University of Lille, in an international residence hall named REEFLEX, where you can take advantage of informal conversations with the international scientific community. The furnished single rooms will be 16-18 m², with a private bathroom and wifi access.
REEFLEX is close to the “Cité Scientifique” metro station: 10 min to Lille city centre and 3 min to the popular V2 Shopping Mall.
CATERING IN VALENCIENNES & LILLE
All breakfasts, lunches and dinners are included: these will be booked throughout your stay and delivered to your residence, served in university canteen or in town.
We will do our utmost to offer you varied restaurants and different meals each time. We hope you will be delighted to taste our French food! But as we know it may be harsh to suddenly switch from one diet to another, we will also take into account your cultural diversity and you will be given a prepayed card with which you will have the possibility to shop in a supermarket next to your residence.
TRANSPORT IN VALENCIENNES
You will be provided tram tickets enabling you to travel the picturesque city of Valenciennes, as well as to and from the university campus.
TRANSPORT IN LILLE
On your first day in Lille you will be handed a TRANSPOLE (local transportation company) travel card, which will allow you unlimited use of the public transport networks in Lille metropolis (underground, bus, tram and train).
The COPAIN association will drive you back to Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) on Friday July 26th 2019 at 12 pm (noon).
2. SCIENTIFIC SYLLABUS
The scientific programme of TRANSPORT 2019 will be operated on the UPHF Mont Houy campus (Valenciennes) by the Laboratory of industrial and Human Automation control, Mechanical engineering and Computer science (LAMIH, the largest training and research centre for ground transportation in France) and the National Engineering School in Computer science, Automatics, Mechanics, Energetics and Electronics (ENSIAME, one of the largest and most internationalised French engineering schools).
As the piloting lab of the Research Federation CNRS TTM (Transports Terrestres Mobilité), the LAMIH research laboratory (https://www.uphf.fr/LAMIH/en) belongs to several scientific networks in the field of intelligent and sustainable transport. In particular, it has developed strong academic and industrial partnerships worldwide (such as SurferLab, joint laboratory UPHF-Bombardier dedicated to intelligent and sustainable transport development), and offers many PhD theses in collaboration with professionals of the transport industry (Alstom, SNCF, RATP, Valeo, Continental, PSA, Renault, Toyota Motor Europe, Safran and Airbus Helicopters, etc.).
The ENSIAME engineering school (http://www.uphf.fr/ensiame/en/frontpage-ensiame) offers a high-level training in synergy with industry, transport operators, centres of excellence, and in line with future innovation needs. It has two double degrees with Chinese universities: University of Tongji (Shanghai) and North Eastern University (Shenyang), as well as Brazil: the Department of Aeronautics of the Federal University of Uberlândia the best students being then selected to continue in co-supervised PhD degrees in the LAMIH.
The UPHF (https://www.uphf.fr/) has valuable partnerships with the University of Transport and Communications of Hanoi (Vietnam), the University of California Irvine (United States of America), Moscow State University of Railway Engineering (MIIT, Russia), the Institute of Automotive Technology, the Technical University of Munich (TUM München, Germany) and Cranfield University Centre for Aeronautics (United Kingdom).
Besides, the city of Valenciennes hosts the headquarters of the European Union Agency for Railways as well as the CERTIFER Group (French company worldwide leader on the market of independent assessment of rail and urban transportation), AIA (the automotive cluster), i-Trans (the world-class competitiveness cluster), AIF (the association of railway indus tries), IRT Railenium (the institute of technological research Railenium, a railway testing centre) and Transalley (the technopole dedicated to innovative and sustainable mobility, located in the extension of UPHF Mont Houy campus).
Focusing on the fundamental aspects of environment-friendly transport systems, TRANSPORT 2019 will offer top scientific conferences by prominent academic and industrial speakers, lectures, seminars and meetings with leading researchers in the field, scientific and industrial visits, workshops and demonstrations of cutting-edge equipment, as well as an introduction to research through a supervised project. The quality of the work undertaken and your scientific potential will be assessed.
Particular emphasis will be placed on materials, energy, comfort, safety and reliability aspects of propulsion systems. Innovative strategies on the life cycle management of a propulsion system in an eco-design context will be discussed.
Half of the schedule will be devoted to the 60-hour scientific programme taught in English.
- LECTURES & SEMINARS (18h)
- WORKSHOPS (13.5h)
- ASSESSMENT (6h)
- CONFERENCES (4.5h)
- SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECT (10,5h)
- SCIENTIFIC & INDUSTRIAL VISITS (7.5h)
Pr. Fethi ALOUI, Full Professor in fluid mechanics, ENSIAME/UPHF (C2)
Dr. Jean-louis DUVAL, Director of virtual & augmented reality platform, ESI Group (C6)
Dr. Cosmin GRUESCU, Associate Professor in eco-design and life cycle analysis, IUT A/University of Lille (C5)
Pr. Hakim NACEUR, Full Professor in computational mechanics, ENSIAME/UPHF (Scientific Research Project)
Dr. Delphine NOTTA-CUVIER, Assistant Professor in material science, ENSIAME/UPHF (C1)
Pr. Céline MORIN, Full Professor in energetics and thermal science, ENSIAME/UPHF (C4)
Pr. Thierry TISON, Full Professor in variability and uncertainty propagation in mechanics, ENSIAME/UPHF (C3)
LECTURES, SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS
The scientific programme of TRANSPORT 2019 is divided in two parts on the following topics:
1. MATERIALS, ENERGY, COMFORT, SAFETY AND RELIABILITY ASPECTS OF PROPULSION SYSTEMS (land and air transport):
- Biosourced Polymers and Short-Fibre Reinforced Thermoplastics for Automotive Applications (C1)
- Applied Aerodynamics of Road and Aerial Vehicles (C2)
- Uncertainty-Based Design of Structures and Materials for Transportation (C3)
- Thermal Comfort, Air Quality in the Transport Industry (C4)
2. COMPLETE LIFE CYCLE MANAGEMENT OF A PROPULSION SYSTEM IN AN ECO-DESIGN CONTEXT (using virtual reality techniques):
- Virtual Reality and its Applications in the Transport Industry (C5)
- Eco-Design and Life-Cycle Production in Transportation Systems (C6)
OTHER SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES
1. SYNTHESIS ON MAJOR ISSUES AND CHALLENGES OF RAIL TRANSPORT, Mr. Bernard PLAQUIN, Senior European Railway Expert, President of the European Committee for Railway Standardisation AFNOR/BNF, Lille.
2. STATE-OF-THE-ART RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES IN AERONAUTICS AND AIR TRANSPORT, Dr. Bertrand LANGRAND, Scientific Deputy Director, Department of Materials and Structures, ONERA-The French Aerospace Lab, Lille.
3. SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH CLUSTERS AND ECONOMIC HUBS IN HAUTS-DE-FRANCE (Northern France region).
Transverse conference correlated to the domains of France Excellence summer schools students and coordinated by competent clusters and hubs.
In order to strengthen the theoretical knowledge, workshops on practical aspects of transportation will take place in both the LAMIH research laboratory and the ENSIAME engineering school. Including the design of lightweight structures for transportation vehicles by taking into account variability uncertainty analysis, the dynamic characterisation of polymers and composites at high strain rates, the numerical simulation of vehicle crash accident using commercial software Pam-Crash, the experimental methods and tools for aerodynamics and air quality measurements and a virtual reality application for the driving simulation.
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECT
Designed to facilitate your admission to Doctoral schools in France, the Scientific Research Project will require personal work. It will include 2 sessions of tutorials and a last session of presentation of the results and discussion with researchers and PhD students from the LAMIH research laboratory. The research project will involve the analysis of selected scientific papers related to the topics of courses taught including: biosourced polymers, aerodynamics of vehicles, uncertainty analysis, thermal comfort, eco-design in transportation and virtual reality. You will be asked to perform a literature survey on a specific topic, carry out a scientific critical analysis of the methods and tools used, propose alternative methodologies available in the literature. The final project will be validated after an oral defence in front of the scientific board.
SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL VISITS
Visits of high technological and scientific interest will be organised within the programme. You will get to discover the following places:
- MG-VALDUNES (http://valdunes.com), Chinese company listed on the Shanghai and Hong Kong Stock Exchanges, supplier of wheels and axles for railway rolling stock (presentation of the company and tour of the production lines);
- Vallourec (a manufacturer of premium tubular solutions for the energy and energy market industry) or Bombardier (a major player in the French rail industry);
- The LAMIH’s various scientific platforms related to transportation (http://www.uphf.fr/LAMIH/en/plateformes), including the SHERPA driving simulator as part of a partnership with the car manufacturer PSA Peugeot Citroën, the PSCHITT-Rail platform for driving a tramway in virtual environment, the wind tunnel for applied research in aerodynamics of ground transportation, the CRASH platform for testing new materials at high strain rate and crash resistance of structure level.
Master and advanced Bachelor students.
Advanced English, excellent academic results and in-depth knowledge in materials and fluid and solid mechanics.
TRANSPORT 2019 will thus be a springboard for your enrolment in a Master or PhD programme in France in the field of sustainable transport. Depending on the level and results, several possibilities will offered to the best candidates:
- “International Master in Transportation and Energy” at the ENSIAME engineering school (under condition of tuition fees),
- PhD thesis at the LAMIH (UPHF), at a partner institution in Northern France or within the research French and international lab network of the professors.
Composites and Green Materials in Transportation Vehicles, Thermal Comfort, Air Quality, Alternative Fuels for Internal Combustion Engines, Process and Eco-Design in Transportation, Virtual Reality Solutions for Transportation and Logistics.
3. CULTURAL SYLLABUS
Want to learn French? Feel like discovering the French society and culture? Always dreamed of visiting historical and natural sites in France? TRANSPORT 2019 will give you that opportunity, leading to a full access to the French-speaking world.
The International, which fosters integration and interactive exchange between students from various disciplines, will deliver exciting teachings in the French language and culture in the state-of-the-art building of graduate school Sciences Po Lille, perfectly located in downtown Lille. A final assessment of the knowledge and skills acquired in French language during the session will close your training.
Both the UPHF Department of International Relations (in Valenciennes) and the International Academy (in Lille), together with the COPAIN association, will organise valuable site visits of historical and natural interest in the Hauts-de-France region and Belgium, along with festive events. What a great occasion to meet other students in a more relaxed framework and to chat with professors and researchers in a friendly atmosphere! The official Welcome Reception at the Haut-de-France Regional Council will be the institutional climax of the programme.
Half of the schedule will be devoted to the 60-hour linguistic, social and cultural programme delivered in English. When appropriate, you will be mixed with fellow students from five France Excellence Summer Schools.
- FRENCH FOR FOREIGNERS (18h)
- ASSESSMENT (2h)
- FRENCH SOCIETY (3h)
- INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION (3h)
- CULTURAL VISITS (30h)
- WELCOME AND CLOSING EVENTS (4h)
FRENCH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE CLASSES
Experienced academic advisors, teachers, lecturers, professionals from ComUE LNF member institutions will offer their competence in the following domains:
1. FRENCH FOR FOREIGNERS: General written and spoken French: syntax, morphology, vocabulary, phonology.
Courses will enable you to get acquainted with day-to-day French or to strengthen your communication skills, depending on your initial level. You will learn how to interact and, through appropriate and various activities in connection with daily life, you will get involved in the French culture.
2. FRENCH SOCIETY: French space, how better to apprehend its social and cultural context than in France?
Cultural keys together with a little geography in both regional and national dimensions, major social issues, prominent historic facts since the Modern period, France in the European Union.
3. INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION: An introduction to main elements: uniformity, difference and diversity.
How better to adapt to a new environment? You will be invited to question your own on-going cross-cultural experience and acculturation strategies. You will be brought to find keys and make the best of your potential while studying in France.
The Hauts-de-France region is typified by its maritime and Flemish borders, agrarian economy, ancient trade fairs tradition, former textile and mine industries steeped in the Catholic values of its captains and vivid memory of wounds inflicted by two world wars. France’s youngest region is now renowned for its competitiveness, dynamic cultural and social life, and a unique mix of Flemish cheerfulness and French elegance.
1. FRENCH HERITAGE: Visit of the cosy city of Valenciennes and its Museum of Fine Arts, renowned for its prestigious collection of workers by Flemish artists and 19th century sculpture (Saturday July 6th).
2. BRUGES, BELGIUM: Free time in the charming old Flemish city, also known as “the Venice of the North” thanks to its beautiful canals (Sunday July 7th).
3. OLD LILLE: Guided tour of streets, squares and monuments of the old town and its beautiful ancient architecture (Thursday July 11th).
4. LOUVRE-LENS MUSEUM & FIREWORKS IN LILLE: Visit of the Time Gallery in the northern Louvre (built atop a former mine works) and its revolutionary museography (Saturday July 13th) and sightseeing of the great fireworks in Lille on the French National Day (Sunday July 14th). Optional. Alternatively, you are free to spend the weekend wherever you want on your own expense.
5. CH'TI EVENING: Local cuisine in a traditional restaurant and introduction to the Ch'ti linguistic and cultural specificity (Thursday July 18th).
6. EXCURSION TO THE COAST: Visit of the spectacular Site des Deux-Caps (Opal Coast) from which one can see the British cliffs; visit of Nausicaá - French National Sea Experience Centre, the biggest aquarium in Europe (Saturday July 20th).
Want to prolong your stay in North-West Europe? Willing to take another step into the French language and culture? Keen on discovering more sights? You will have the opportunity to participate, partly at your expense, in the Academy.120 programme (29th July - 28th August 2019) organised in Lille by the International Academy.
For more information please visit this websit
NAME OF THE SCHOOL
“Towards Intelligent & Sustainable Optimisation of Transport Systems” (TRANSPORT 2019)
Monday July 1st 2019.
PROGRAMME DATES AND INSTITUTIONS
From Monday July 1st to Friday July 26th 2019,
in the Hauts-de-France Polytechnic University (UPHF) and the Lille Northern France Higher & Research Education Institutions Association (ComUE LNF)
TOTAL NUMBER OF PLACES
The price does not include flight tickets to and from Paris.
Accommodation, meals and transportation are all included.
6 European Credit Transfer and accumulation System (ECTS) credits pertaining to the completed assessments and a personalised Certificate of Completion that authenticates the students’ participation.
TRANSPORT 2019 is open to Master and advanced Bachelor students.
The France Excellence Summer School can be immediately followed up by a specialist training (29th July - 28th August 2019) in French academic methodology, language and culture, with a particular benefit for students pursuing studies in the French higher education system. Includes an official “Test de Connaissance du Français” (TCF) assessing your French language skills.
For more information, please visit this website
To apply, please follow the application procedure described on the main page