Environmental Sciences: Chemical Analysis, Characterisation and Remediation of Contaminated Soils and Waters
The participants will be welcomed on Saturday 22nd June 2019 at Paris and the courses will began on Monday 24th June 2019
The participants will be welcomed on Saturday 22nd June 2019 at Paris and the courses will began on Monday 24th June 2019.
The summer school is jointly organized by the University Clermont Auvergne (UCA) in Clermont-Ferrand (center of France) and by the National School of Chemistry (ENSCR) in Rennes (west part of France). The two cities are surrounded by exceptional natural environment with diversity of landscapes, more particularly with the unique volcanic landscape near Clermont-Ferrand and with the very famous site of Mont Saint-Michel near Rennes. The scientific topic of this summer school is based on one of the main challenges of the XXIst century, the protection of the environment and more particularly the problems of pollution impacting the quality of soils and of water resources. The two institutions involved are particularly adequate to welcome this summer school, and have great experience in the organization of such events. In fact, a strong scientific potential exists in the field of environmental chemistry and more particularly in water and soil treatments but also in upscaling for clean-up technologies.
1 - FACILITIES
ARRIVAL IN FRANCE
Participants will be welcomed at Charles-de-Gaulle airport in Paris on Saturday 22nd June 2019. At their arrival a member of the organizing committee will conduct all the students to the train or bus station to reach Clermont-Ferrand. A welcome lunch will be organized on the Sunday at noon.
TRANSFER TO RENNES
The transfer to Rennes will be organized by train on Saturday 6th July 2019.
The institute of chemistry and the school of chemistry will provide accommodation for all the participants in a residence offering single room with private bathroom. The residence is located 10 minutes away from the chemistry department building in Clermont-Ferrand and 5 minutes away from the school of chemistry in Rennes.
Lunches and dinners are included in the program and will take place in university restaurants. Two gala dinners will be organized in a typical restaurant (with local music) one in Clermont-Ferrand on Friday 5th July and one in Rennes on Friday 12th July 2019.
Participants will be provided with the public transport pass at their arrival for two weeks in Clermont-Ferrand and one week in Rennes. These passes gives access to unlimited travel in Clermont-Ferrand or Rennes.
RETURN TO CHINA
The return to Paris will be organized by train Saturday 13th July 2019.
End of school and return to China: Saturday 13th July 2019.
2 - SCIENTIFIC SYLLABUS
I) Chemical kinetics (6h): Pr. Marcello BRIGANTE
- Homogeneous and heterogeneous kinetics
- Advancement, conversion degree and thermodynamic of reactions
- Radical reactions, linear, ramified and steady-state approach.
- Half-life time determination and kinetic constant and chemical kinetic models
II) Analytical chemistry (8h): Drs. Nicolas CIMETIERE and Guillaume VOYARD
- UV-vis, fluorescence and IR spectroscopy
- HPLC, GC and Ionic chromatography
- Mass spectrometry and NMR
- Application to the quantification and characterization of organic and inorganic compounds in water and soil.
III) Biological and chemical depollution processes (8h): Drs. Pascale BESSE-HOGGAN, Aymen ASSADI and Sylvain Giraudet
- Microbiological remediation of water and soils
- Homogeneous and heterogeneous oxidation catalysis
- Risk assessment and remediation technologies
- Upscaling and field applications
IV) Iron chemistry and application to the depollution processes (6h): Pr. Khalil HANNA and Dr. Gilles MAILHOT
- Iron, occurrence and water (photo)-chemistry
- Fe-based catalysts: principles and applications
- Use of iron species in advanced oxidation processes (AOP’s)
- Advantages, outlooks and future prospects
Required level: High level under graduate students, Master students and PhD students.
OTHER SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES
- The Institute of Chemistry of Clermont-Ferrand (ICCF) and Institute of Chemical Sciences of Rennes (ISCR).
- The monitoring center of the atmosphere situated at the top of puy-de-Dôme volcano.
- Waste-waters treatment plant of Rennes metropole.
Practical work and research project:
- 12 h of practical work
- 9h of tutorial and evaluation
- 6 Conferences given by highly recognized scientists in the field.
Evaluation of skills acquired during the courses: project presentation + 10-15 min of oral examination and discussion
Scientific courses, practical work, conferences (in English language).
3- CULTURAL SYLLABUS
French courses (22h) as foreign language will be given by the centre FLEURA of the Clermont Auvergne University. These courses will give a first approach of the French language and will allow to become integrated more quickly into the culture and into the French everyday life.
- Guided tours of the cities of Clermont-Ferrand and Rennes.
- Climb from the pass of Ceyssat at the top of puy-de-Dôme and visit of the site with the Temple of Mercury.
- Visit of the city of Vichy (12 essential places), spring water resort.
- Visit of the famous medieval site of Mont-Saint-Michel (second most visited site in France).
- Visit of Britany coasts and castles of the “Marches de Bretagne” (Fougères, Vitré, etc.).
- Sightseeing tour of Auvergne old villages with roman churches, hills and volcanic lakes.
Chemical Analysis, Characterisation and Remediation of Contaminated Soils and Waters
Welcome date : Saturday June 22nd 2019
From June 22nd to July 13th 2019 in Université Clermont Auvergne and Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes.
The total number of places is limited to 20.
The price does not include the trip from China to Paris.
Accommodation, meals and local transportation are all included.
The summer school will deliver 6 ECTS.
The summer school is open to high level BACHELOR/MASTER/PhD students.
To apply, please follow the application procedure described on the main page