The NANO3 International Summer School is a 3-week intensive course in nanophotonics, nanoelectronics and nano-magnetism, an outstanding field of research developed at Paris-Saclay University
Please find here the web site of NANO3
Arrival in Paris on Monday, 29th June 2020.
Courses starting on Tuesday, 30th June 2020.
The NANO3 International Summer School is a 3-week intensive course in nanophotonics, nanoelectronics and nano-magnetism, an outstanding field of research developed at Paris-Saclay University, the biggest university cluster in France. The students will experience outstanding laboratory training and projects together with exciting cultural activities in and around Paris. The training will be delivered by senior scientists of the Center for Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies (C2N). In order to offer International students, precise information on the French research system, the methodology used is diverse: theoretical courses, lab trainings, industrial seminars, research projects, networking events with researchers and PhD students, and visits of laboratories. The school also includes elements of French culture with French as a Foreign Language courses and visits in the Paris region.
1 - FACILITIES
ARRIVAL IN FRANCE
Participants will be welcomed at Charles-de-Gaulle airport in Paris on Monday 29th June by members of the International Relations Office Summer School team.
All participants will be transferred from the airport to the University residence by private bus or taxi (depending on different times of arrival).
Staff from the International Relations Office Summer School team will be at the residence to welcome the students and guide them to their rooms.
All the main locations will be shown to the students during the first days (accommodation, lectures building, restaurants, shopping facilities, bus stops etc.)
Courses will start on Tuesday 30th June 2020.
The school will provide accommodation for all the participants in a new residence offering single studios with private bathroom and kitchen. The residence is located 5 minutes’ walk from the C2N building.
All meals are included in the programme (breakfast, lunches and dinners).
For breakfast: participants will buy their own breakfast to take in their rooms in the morning. These costs will be covered by the school.
Lunch & dinner: offered in the university restaurants (next to the courses buildings or to the residence).
Buffets will also be organized for special events (networking sessions etc.) and picnic baskets or restaurants will be offered during cultural activities.
Participants will be provided with the Paris monthly public travel passes “Navigo” on their arrival. This pass gives access to unlimited travel in the Paris region.
Transport during cultural activities will also be organized (bus or public transport). In any case, students will always be accompanied by a dedicated trainee for the summer school or a member of the International Relations Office.
RETURN TO CHINA
End of the school on Friday 17th July 2020.
Return to China on Saturday 18th July 2020 (transfer to the airport by bus).
2 - SCIENTIFIC SYLLABUS
Courses will be spread over 3 weeks and will consist of around 20h of theoretical courses and 3-6h of practical experiments.
Indicatively, the program will be as follows (version 2019 probably modified later):
- Photonics and optoelectronics: 4h of theoretical courses, 3h of practical experiments. Teachers: Eric Cassan (PR UPSud)
- Plasmonics and Metamaterials: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Béatrice Dagens (DR CNRS).
- Nonlinear photonics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Ariel Levenson (DR CNRS)
- THz photonics and optoelectronics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Adel Bousseksou (MCF UPSud), Pr. Frédéric Aniel (PR UPSud)
- Introduction to Nanoelectronics: 3h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Philippe Dollfus (DR CNRS) Damien Querlioz (CR-HDR CNRS), Arianna Filoramo (Ing. docteur CEA HDR)
- Magnetic thin films and spintronics: 2h of theoretical courses, 2h of practical experiments. Teachers: Nicolas Vernier (MCF-HDR UPSud), André Thiaville (DR CNRS)
- Mesoscopic physics: 2h of theoretical courses. Teachers: Dominique Mailly (DR CNRS)
All courses will take place at the C2N premises.
The School is open to International students from Masters with a high scientific level matching with the topics of the school.
OTHER SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES
Besides theoretical courses, the scientific training consists of:
- An introductory session of the French research system,
- Practical trainings in research laboratories;
- Industrial presentations and seminars;
- Research projects and immersion in laboratories (23 hours in total)
- A mini-conference ("Workshop") at the end of the school to assess the results of the research projects, with poster presentations;
- A session dedicated to the preparation of PhD applications in France, in particular through the China Scholarship Council or other international programmes and the French Doctoral Schools. PhD students will attend this session and exchange with the summer school students.
3- CULTURAL SYLLABUS
Participants will get a basic introduction to French language (16h) in order to promote cultural exchanges. Students will face professional language course professors and will practice through real-life situation in the local town during one session.
Participants can be divided into different groups, according to their level in French and for better learning.
We wish to provide our students with a unique experience in the Paris region. NANO3 will offer a wide range of social activities including:
- Visits of Paris (Treasure Hunt in Paris, Cruise on the Seine, restaurants)
- Day trip to visit a famous French «Château » (Versailles, Rambouillet or Fontainebleau)
- Day at Disneyland Paris or Parc Astérix
- 14th July festivities (fireworks)
INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL IN NANOPHOTONICS, NANOELECTRONICS, AND NANOMAGNETISM "NANO3"
Welcome day: Monday, 29th June 2020
From 29th June 2020 to 18th July 2020 in Université Paris-Saclay.
The total number of places is limited to 35.
Price: 26 000 RMB
The price does not include the round trip between your home country and Paris
Accommodation, meals and local transportation are all included.
The summer school will not deliver ECTS, but a Certificate of Completion mentioning the amount of hours attended for theoretical courses, French courses and practical experiments.
The summer school is open to Master students, and students enrolled in Master-PhD programs.
NANO3 web site: http://www.nano3.u-psud.fr/
To apply, please follow the application procedure described on the main page