Université Bourgogne Franche-Comté (UBFC), ranked at the THE World University Rankings, is a French Higher Education and Research organization federating three public universities, three public engineer schools and one private business school in the Bourgogne - Franche-Comté (BFC) Region.
The founding members of UBFC are
University of Burgundy (uB),
University of Franche-Comté (UFC),
University of Technology of Belfort-Montbéliard (UTBM),
National Engineering Institute in Mechanics and Microtechnologies (ENSMM),
National Engineering Institute of Agronomic Sciences, Food and Environment (AgroSup Dijon),
National Engineering School “Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Arts et Métiers” (ENSAM)
Burgundy School of Business (BSB).
- 60 000 students;
- 3000 master degrees/year;
- 1900 PhD students/370 per year;
- 9000 employees: 2066 faculty members;
- 280 permanent researchers from national institutions;
- 63 laboratories and federal units of research.
UBFC operates a Doctoral College with 6 Doctoral Schools
Environments – Health
- Biology, Health, Ecology, Environment
- Mathematics, Physics, Earth and Universe Sciences, Chemistry
Engineering Sciences and Microtechnologies
- Mathematics, Physics, Earth and Universe Sciences, Chemistry, Engineering Sciences, Information and Communication Sciences and Technologies
Societies, Spaces, Practices, Time
- Institutions and social behaviours, space, environment and societies, human spirit, language, education, languages, arts and cultures, ancient and contemporary worlds
Literature, Communication, Languages, Arts
- Information and Communication Sciences, Linguistics, Ancient and French Languages / Literatures, Comparative Literature, Literatures and Foreign Languages, Civilizations, Cultures and Regional Languages, Performing Arts
Law, Management, Economy and Political Sciences
- Markets and Organizations, Economics, Finance, Management, Normes, Institutions and Social Behaviours, Law, Political Science, Sociology, Demography.
Université Bourgogne Franche-Comté offers 16 English-taught Master Degree programs :
- Control for Green Mechatronics (GreeM)
- Physics, Photonics & Nanotechnology (PPN)
- Master program in Mathematical Physics (Math4Phys)
- Photonics, micronanotechnology, time-frequency metrology, and complex systems (PICS)
- Behavioural Ecology and Wildlife Management (BEWM)
- Ecology, Monitoring and Management of Ecosystems (EMME)
- Master Program in Internet of Things (IoT)
- Master Program in Physics and Computational Physics
- From lipoproteins to innovative therapies and pharmacy-imaging
- Transition Metals in Molecular Physics (TMMP)
- Data Analyst for Spatial and Environmental Economics (DASEE)
- Master Rare Books and Digital Humanities
- Projects in International and European Engineering (PIEE)
- Microbiology and Physicochemistry for Food and Wine Processes
- Physiological and Psychological FOOD choices Determinants (P2FOOD)
UBFC operates the Graduate School EIPHI “Engineering and Innovation through Physical Sciences, High-technologies, and cross-dIsciplinary Research” offering 5 Master Programs in
- Physics, Mathematics and Applications
- Computer Science
- Material Science
- Smart Systems and Structures
University strengths / key projects
UBFC has been awarded by the national French program “Projects for the Investment for the Future” and operates an “Initiative of Excellence” Project ISITE-BFC (Initiative-Science-Innovation-Territories-Economy). The main strategic objectives of ISITE-BFC are:
- to increase our international visibility by the emergence of UBFC Federal Research University,
- to evolve as an international reference in three Priority Research Areas:
Area 1 - Advanced Materials, Waves & Smart Systems: Advanced materials, smart systems, clean energy, Quantum and brain inspired photonic computing, Programmable matter.
Area 2 - Territories, Environment, Food: Socio-ecological and food transitions; innovation in agriculture and agro-food industry; soil & territory management strategies.
Area 3 - Comprehensive Individual Care: Innovative care tools of inflammatory and chronic disease; Human performance sciences; Integrative patient centered care approaches.
- to drive interdisciplinary research and to help industry to move to a more intense high-tech profile,
- to create a stimulating international environment attracting international talented students and research staff.
UBFC has been awarded by the national French program “Projects for the Investment for the Future” for operating International Graduate Institute (InteGrate) composed of three Grdauates Schools :
EIPHI - Engineering and Innovation through Physical Sciences, High-technologies, and cross-dIsciplinary Research
TRANSBIO - “Changes Towards sustainable production and Biodiversity”
INTHERAPI - “INnovative THERApies, Pharmaco-imaging and multimodal Imaging”
InteGrate key features are:
- a cross-disciplinary approach in Physics & Engineering Sciences, including high-technologies,
- a broad spectrum of taught knowledge, from fundamental to applied sciences,
- a future-ready education program, for breakthrough, smart, and sustainable innovations,
- an attractive education track, personalized and definitely oriented toward international experiences,
- a graduating track immersed in internationally renowned Research Institutes, opening the doors to high-tech companies seeking for international profiles and high added value hard and soft skills.
UBFC has been awarded in the frame of the national call “New innovative programs at the university” to operate the project entitled “Succeed – Innovate – Transform - Mobilize in Bourgogne Franche-Comté (RITM-BFC).
The project aims to foster and enhance undergraduate student success. It is open to all disciplines and innovative projects coming from BFC community. The priorities
- Build more individualized approaches for the success at the Bachelor level and a better preparation for professional integration
- Develop lifelong learning
- Developing a stimulating international environment attracting international talented students and international research staff and faculty
- Internationalisation of BFC research
- Fostering international strategic alliances both at research & training levels
- Increasing the rate of international PhD and Master students
- Promotion of outward mobility of students